AFP Alaska Chapter 2017 Scholarships
AFP Alaska Chapter has several exciting scholarship offerings for membership fees and professional development. Information is included below and we encourage all members to explore these opportunities and to share them with those interested in becoming a member or renewing their membership!
2017 Membership Scholarships
Application Deadline: Closed 7/12
The Alaska Chapter is committed to investing in new and current members' continued professional development through AFP membership. Membership scholarships are available by application to any fundraising professional who is interested in joining AFP or renewing an active membership . The The membership scholarships are awarded throughout the year.
SMALL NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION - $175
Open to nonprofit organizations who can answer yes to all the following criteria:
- An operating budget of less than $1,000,000
- A fundraising department with less than two (2) Full time equivalent (FTE) staff
- Individually incorporated or otherwise organized as a separate entity in the laws of the specific country; and
- Not affiliated with a larger institution supporting their operations.
The organization will designate one fundraising professional to receive the benefits offered in this membership category. The membership may be transferred to another individual if the original member leaves the organization. Limit one membership per organization.
PROFESSIONAL - $300
- Professional: Open to persons who hold some degree of responsibility directly for fundraising, work within the U.S. and Canada and are compensated for their services.
YOUNG PROFESSIONAL - $95
- Young Professional: Open to persons who hold some degree of responsibility directly for fundraising, work within the U.S. and Canada and are compensated for their services, and are 30 years old or younger.
Applicants can apply for the AFP Alaska Chapter to cover their complete membership costs. Applicants must be employed as full-time fundraising professionals or spend at least 50% of work time fundraising. Recipients are required to participate on a committee for the Alaska Chapter of AFP. Strong consideration for demonstrated financial need, active Chapter involvement, and for those applicants that demonstrate diversity within the chapter.
2017 Professional Development Scholarships
Application Deadline: Open
The AFP Alaska Chapter Professional Development Scholarship is awarded to applicants for up to $500. This scholarship is for sanctioned AFP International education programs or professional certifications, including, but not limited to: CFRE Review Course, CFRE or ACFRE Certification or Recertification, AFP ICON, Faculty Training Academy and Fundamentals of Fundraising. The scholarship will be given as reimbursement for expenses for course(s), registrations and/or certification related fees only and cannot be used for travel or accommodations.
The award is valid for reimbursement if used within twelve months from the time of selection. Professional Development Scholarships are available to current AFP members only. Recipients are required to participate on a committee for the Alaska Chapter of AFP.
2017 Alaska Philanthropy Day Scholarships
Application Deadline: Available Sept 1 until November 19
The Alaska Philanthropy Day Scholarships are awarded AFP members and covers their event registration fee. The scholarship recipients are responsible for any additional costs incurred to attend the Alaska Philanthropy Day conference held annually in November including travel and lodging. Scholarship recipients are required to participate at the Alaska Philanthropy Day conference as luncheon volunteers.
This is a reimbursement scholarship and recipients will be reimbursed after submission of event registration fee. Strong consideration will be given to those applicants who have not attended this event previously. Alaska Philanthropy Day scholarships are available to AFP members only.
2017 Chamberlain Scholarship
Application Deadline: Open until Sept 30, awarded October 2017
The AFP Chamberlain Scholarship is awarded to one person from each AFP local chapter, and provides a total of up to $1,785, of which $625-$785 is from AFP International for registration and $1,000 from our Alaska Chapter to be used toward travel, hotel, and expenses for attending the 2018 AFP International Conference on Fundraising. The Scholarship Recipient and/or their employer/organization is responsible for any costs incurred over the amount of the scholarship. (The total cost is typically around $2500 depending on location.)
Applicants must be able to attend the annual conference and must fulfill all obligations associated with being a Chamberlain Scholarship awardee. Awardees must also write a brief newsletter article about their experience upon their return. Recipients are required to participate on a committe for the Alaska Chapter of AFP.
2017 AFP Intl. Diversity Scholarship
Application Deadline: Open until Sept 30, awarded October 2017
As a community of inclusion, the Association of Fundraising Professionals seeks, embraces, and engages diverse individuals, groups, and organizations with a broad representation of experiences, perspectives, thoughts and cultures within the fundraising profession. Through this strategic initiative, AFP is committed to activities that increase awareness of diversity issues.
As part of this commitment, AFP has created a diversity scholarship program to provide financial assistance for the professional development for AFP members who are themselves members of a diverse community, or are employed by grassroots organizations that primarily serve diverse populations.
Scholarships will be offered in each of three categories provided the category achieves sufficient funding.
- The General Diversity Scholarship Fund - reserved for applicants who identify themselves as members of the AFP diversity community of fundraising professionals, or available to fundraising professionals from any currently identified AFP diverse community: African American, Asian, Faith-based, GLBT, Hispanic, Jewish, or Rural.
- The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) Scholarship Fund - reserved for applicants who identify themselves as members of the AFP GLBT diversity community of fundraising professionals, or AFP members who are employees of a nonprofit organization that serves the GLBT community.
- The African-American Diversity Scholarship Fund - reserved for applicants who identify themselves as members of the AFP African-American diversity community of fundraising professionals, or AFP members who are employees of a nonprofit organization that serves the African-American community.
Should you have questions about the AFP the Diversity Scholarship Program, please contact the Lori Gusdorf at (703) 519-8449, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule: Applications will be received and reviewed by the AFP Alaska Scholarship committee and awardees selected and notified as soon as possible after the application deadline.