Executive DirectorCompany: North Star Ballet
Date Posted: March 19, 2018
The North Star Ballet School and Company, incorporated as the North Star Dance Foundation, was established as a non-profit in 1981 to bring outstanding classical dance instruction, choreography, and performance to Interior Alaska. We do this with a diversified revenue stream consisting of 56% earned revenue, 34% contributions, 9% gaming income, and 1% government grants with an approximately $700,000 budget and a staff consisting of 3 full time employees, 7 part time employees, and approximately 112 volunteers.
We are searching for an Executive Director who will partner with our Artistic Director to guide the North Star Ballet as it expands programming in our new home – the Artisan’s Courtyard. The Executive Director manages the administrative, financial, and developmental environments of the organization, providing the context in which the Artistic Director builds and manages the programs. Position starts September 1, 2018.
The Executive Director manages the administrative staff while the Artistic Director manages the artistic staff. Both the Executive Director and the Artistic Director report directly to the Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Ability to manage, organize and carry out diverse activities and exercise creative leadership through initiative and self-motivation.
- Strong verbal, written, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with requirements and operation of not-for-profit organizations.
The executive director manages the administrative, financial, and developmental aspects of the North Star Ballet, providing framework and support for the work of the Artistic Director.
Administrative functions include bookkeeping, registration, office management, volunteer coordination, gaming administration, building usage and upkeep, and grounds-keeping and are carried out by administrative staff.
- Supervise administrative staff, in collaboration with the Artistic Director as appropriate.
- Plan and negotiate employee agreements for all staff in collaboration with the Artistic Director.
- Develop, implement, and oversee application of staff policies and procedures in collaboration with the Artistic Director.
- Hire, train, and perform annual evaluations on the administrative staff.
- Make recommendations to the Board of Directors regarding staff evaluations, salary negotiations and organizational structure.
- Manage and coordinate business and operating responsibilities and ensure that the organizational calendar of tasks is implemented.
- Manage financial and operational activities in accordance with the North Star Dance Foundation financial policy handbook.
- Develop budgets with the Artistic Director and the Board of Directors.
- Prepare required financial and audit reports.
- Supervise the member in charge for gaming activities.
- Provide reports to the Board of Directors on fiscal matters.
- Negotiate and monitor vendor and renter contracts.
Development and Fundraising:
- Develop, supervise, and evaluate fundraising activities including writing grants, researching new funding sources and opportunities, and coordinating donor incentive programs.
- Supervise public fundraising events.
- Assist the Artistic Director in implementing the marketing plan.
- Attend all Board of Directors meetings, reporting to the Board on overall organizational health
- Attend all North Star Dance Foundation performances and events.
- Maintain cordial relationships with corporations, businesses, donors, and other potential funding sources as well as colleagues and the general public.
- Develop, track, and update the Strategic Plan with Artistic Director and Board of Directors.
- Perform other duties from time to time following mutual discussion with the Board of Directors and/or the Artistic Director.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary $52,000 for full-time position
- 6 weeks paid vacation/personal leave per year
- Discretionary flexible schedule and telecommuting
- New computer and printer
- Training with the Foraker Foundation and with the Association of Fundraising Professionals provided
- Health insurance not included
Send Letter of Interest and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org