Communications and Development ManagerCompany: Alaska Marine Conservation Council
Date Posted: September 7, 2017
A successful candidate will posses the following skills and traits:
- A bachelor’s degree and minimum of 4 years experience in fundraising, communications, marketing, outreach, customer service, and or operations/administration.
- Familiarity with coastal Alaska and fisheries issues.
- Experience and ability to develop effective print and electronic communications and marketing materials.
- Experience organizing successful events that engage supporters and generate revenue.
- Demonstrated leadership experience and the ability to oversee and work collaboratively with other staff, board members and contractors, to engage volunteers and be a team leader.
- Ability to successfully work with databases, word processing and design programs.
- High level of energy, motivation and dedication to creativity and innovation.
- Extremely well-organized and detail-oriented and able to successfully and efficiently manage a significant workload.
- Superb writing and editing skills.
- An outgoing personality, comfort with networking, talking to diverse audiences, and building relationships.
- A strong work ethic, positive attitude, ability to problem solve, and develop creative solutions.
- Passion and commitment to AMCC’s mission, vision and approach.
- Ability to travel within and out of state and work some nights and weekends.
- Ability to lift over 30 lbs., and operate the AMCC vehicle (i.e. an acceptable driving record).
This position is full-time. Compensation for this position is dependent on experience and includes AMCC’s generous vacation, retirement, dental coverage, flex holidays, and personal health insurance. The position is based out of AMCC’s Anchorage office and start date is as as soon as possible but no later than early October. We are an organization that seeks to accommodate an active outdoor lifestyle, families, and fishermen.
Duties will include:
Communications and Engagement: ~50%
The Communications and Development Manager is responsible for effective communications at the organizational level, while providing critical communications support to AMCC’s programs.The Manager will maintain a strong knowledge of AMCC’s work and the various dimensions of the programmatic issues on which we engage. Duties will include:
- Website, e-newsletter and social media: Spearhead AMCC’s online and social media presence to ensure effective communications and messaging. , Coordinate content and disseminate monthly e-newsletter. Support program staff in managing program/project websites..
- Informational materials: Lead development of AMCC’s print newsletter sent 2-3 times per year as well as development of an annual report. Work with program staff to develop compelling materials, including event flyers or promotional materials, advertising, or special projects.. Serve as a liaison with graphic designers and printers.
- Outreach events: Spearhead an effective engagement strategy through special events such as Salmonfest, Pacific Marine Expo, as well local food events such as cooking demos and farmer’s markets.
- Local seafood & social enterprise: Support marketing of the AMCC’s local seafood sales program and catalyze engagement of customers in AMCC’s work.
- Earned media: Work with staff to ensure steady and strategic presence of AMCC in the media. Report on quality and quantity of AMCC media presence. Develop relationships with key media contacts.
- Data management: Work with staff to ensure data is tracked appropriately and is input into the Voter Action Network (VAN) in a timely and accurate manner.
- Promotional gear: Assist with the development of AMCC gear such as t-shirts, bags etc. Promote the sale of gear, organize and track inventory.
- Volunteers: Serve as a liaison with potential volunteers and build AMCC’s team of volunteers, and regularly identifying opportunities for engagement. Appropriately acknowledge and thank volunteers.
Development, Fundraising & Donor Engagement: ~45%
The Communications and Development Manager will play a key role in the successful functioning of AMCC’s giving programs and organizational membership. Duties will include:
- Oversee and expand AMCC’s individual giving program, major donor, and business membership programs. This includes executing regular renewal mailings, annual and special appeals, building relationships with donors and business partners, making donor asks, and ensuring appropriate acknowledgment.
- Oversee AMCC’s engagement in the Pick. Click. Give. PFD contribution program including developing and executing an annual campaign plan to increase the number of donors and total donation amount through the program.
- Oversee and increase engagement in employee giving programs such as the Combined Federal Campaign and others.
- Effectively maintain and utilize AMCC’s membership database.
- Support AMCC’s annual cash raffle including securing the needed permits, ensuring regulations are followed. Promote and oversee ticket sales including working with the Board.
- Support AMCC fundraising events including our annual Ocean Boogies and others to be identified. This includes soliciting donations for auctions, organizing food, entertainment, promotion etc.
- Support the Board Fundraising committee and engage the Board in fundraising efforts.
Operations Support: ~5%
The Communications and Development Manager will provide operations support necessary to ensure a smooth-functioning organization. Some of these duties, or others above, may be delegated to interns or volunteers that the manager would oversee.
- Answer main office line and direct calls as necessary.
- Ensure the AMCC office is neat, orderly and well-functioning. Work with staff to maintain equipment and supplies.
- Provide support to the Executive Director with supporting the Board of Directors including scheduling meetings, carrying out teleconferences and in-person board meetings.
- Assist with data backup and management systems for the organization including cloud backup for staff and getting all key documents on the network.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter (2 page max) describing interest and qualifications for the position, a resume with three professional references, and two relevant writing samples (fundraising or external communications pieces preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be sent no later than Monday, September 18th. This position may be filled prior to the end date, so apply early.